Friday, March 4, 2011

Today's Tulips ~ Floral Friday!

" A Time For Tulips"
(2.5 sec @ F/9, ISO 100, 50mm fl, 50mm f/1.4 prime lens, Nikon Speedlight Sb-600, Gary Fong Light Sphere)

Happy Friday everyone! My post today is short and sweet. I'm just itching for the weekend!

I've been playing with my flash more this week, and I have to say that when I pair it with my 50mm prime and Fong's flash diffuser, you get some wonderful results. Light is dispersed nicely through the light sphere, and the 50mm lens makes me more conscious of my framing and my DOF. Here's two very different results.

There has been some slight editing to both images. In the above, I applied some of PSPx3's clarify filter, and desaturated the color a tad which emphasized the textures from the clarify application. In the image below, I only had a bit of return strobe happening as the shutter released and relied more on the available light coming in from the right side. Later in editing, I selected the warm light tones and heightened them a bit in a new layer before saving. I like them both, but I believe my favorite is the later...which one is yours?
Have a fabulous weekend folks, and thanks for letting me ramble on!

"Tulip's Last Light"
(1/2sec @ F/9, ISO 100, 50mm fl, 50mm f/1.4 prime lens, Nikon Speedlight SB-600, Gary Fong Light Sphere, diffused side light, tripod, remote shutter)

2 comments:

  1. Christine, when you take photos like the two above, do you take them in a darkened room, or do you do something to the picture itself to make the background black? Just wanting to get some ideas for my pictures. Thanks. And by the way, thanks for making me think of spring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring, Spring, Spring!!! Weeeee!

    To get a dark background I usually hang black seamless and set my still shots up on it. But the shots aren't totally bathed in light either... if you get in close to your subject and allow the camera to meter (take a reading for the light in that specific area) for just your subject, then you can usually get a dark background as well. Also, making sure you have significant space between the subject and surroundings so light aimed at your subject doesn't light everything up helps. Good question!

    ReplyDelete