Wednesday, January 20, 2010


Just when you think it's foolish to press on, the answer always arrives. This was my own life lesson over the last few days.

Even the most confident person has days or seasons where they begin to doubt themselves, questioning whether they should change direction, persevere, or admit defeat. Call it what you will, the "dry spell", the "rough patch", or "hitting rock bottom"... it all serves to make us question our visions, and goals, and dreams unfortunately. The key is often to simply keep going. And no, it's not as easy as it sounds. Trust me.

I've been very critical of my own work over the last little while, and was beginning to wonder if my photography was ever going to do anything more than look pretty on a website. So much so that I wasn't sure some days if I should continue! I felt restless and doubtful.

I'm glad I listened to the small still voice within that reminded me that results aren't the focus, (pardon the photog humour) but the journey my photography and I will make.

So I changed my attitude, ignored the doubts..... and got out there with my camera! Subject matter, locations, perfect images were not my priority. Instead, it was enjoying learning, gaining wisdom from mistakes, and not letting the experience go to waste! Then passionately sharing it with everyone I came in contact with.... you included :-)

And low and behold, not only did I thoroughly enjoy shooting whatever subject came my way, but was suddenly approached by two separate businesses to showcase my images, and was commissioned to work for 6 months producing images of our great city as well! An answer to all my hard work.

This lesson has TRULY humbled me. I was reminded that I've come too far to just give up on something I so enjoy. And that really, even if my photography was just for me, I'd still do it! Because big results are really just the icing on the cake!

What ever it is you love.... art, woodworking, writing, sports, music... do it for you. Eventually the rest will follow.

Thanks for letting me ramble on,

Have a good one!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. I hope it is helpful in your photo journey, I think most bloggers would say it is. Gorgeous work you have, already! This particular shot is really nice. Timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Dave, you've been a real encouragement to me already! A mentor if you will.

    Thank you as well Bob! I'm finding that when I take the time to blog, I'm stopping long enough during a hectic day to really see the bigger picture... and gain some insight that my busy brain would have missed, lol.
    Thank you for the welcoming comments :-)

    ReplyDelete